[plug] hardware compatibility - new Sony cdrw Powerburn 175E?

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed Apr 10 17:38:08 WST 2002

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Daniel wrote:

> I think both systems are hardware driven, and I may be safe, but thought I
> should make sure as they won't give me my money back if I say it won't work
> with Linux!

Daniel,
are these all IDE/ATAPI drives?  All new ones should be MMC-compliant, and
so OK. From the CD-Writing-HOWTO:

1.5 Supported CD-writers

USB CD-writers are currently not supported at all. Apart from that you can
safely assume that most newer IDE/ATAPI- and
SCSI-writers work under Linux. Newer drives are mostly MMC-compliant and
are therefore supported. If the SCSI-version of a
particular writer works, the IDE/ATAPI-version will most likely work and
vice versa. However, some people want to get a warm and
fuzzy feeling by reading the exact model of their writer in some sort of
compatibility list. That is the reason why I didn't throw the
following list out of the HOWTO. Here is a comprehensive summary of drives
reported to work with cdrecord:

--
        The origin of Truth is Doubt - Socrates