[plug] 2nd Post Debian Kernel Compile - Sorry for the HTML

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 10 22:31:42 WST 2002

The funny thing is that RedHat and Mandrake are liberally peppered with
shell scripts. Once the kernel and key (samba, XFree86, & poss. *sql)
packages are changed to i686 (or whatever) the speed increases are already
there. MDK & RHAT both include i686 optimised kernels already

The thing with recompiling kernels is more to do with creating a small
memory footprint for your startup, and in some case including drivers not
moduled or integrated by the big distros.

Hmm, 5% speed increase (pulling figure from hat) for i686 samba vs i586
samba,  doesn't compare to properly fdisking and hdparming a ATA100
drive(s) or using a raid.

Another example is use the proper (read optimised, balanced, and
unfortunatly proprietary) detonator X driver compared to the standard one.
Recompiling X for 686 isn't going to get you anywhere near that
performance. Using the correct functions of your hardware is. Balancing
your system is better that upgrading parts.

Regards,

Craig F.

PS I know that one other reason for kernel recompiling is to remove module
support to stop module load vulnerabilities and keep reliability up.