[plug] Much more typical MS nonsense

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Apr 11 10:56:50 WST 2002

On Thursday 11 April 2002 10:13 am, Chris wrote:
> Read this:
> Typical Microsoft Hypocrisy, makes my skin crawl.

You'll want to include more explanation than that (e.g. this is about
WeHaveTheWayOut*), or you'll get a BB to the head when you least expect it.

These are more typical, all security problems with MS software unearthed in
the last week:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24795.html [MS-IIS]
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24777.html [MS-Office]
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24743.html [MS-Windows XP/2k/NT]
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24735.html [MS-IE]
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24746.html [MS-Messenger]
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/24762.html [MS-Outlook]
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24740.html [MS-Word docs]

If you haven't changed to OpenOffice.org yet, wander off and have a read of
that last article. Quote:

    Do you always use a new, clean template or do you take the last
    proposal you wrote and modify it for the new prospect? Do you
    ever turn off the 'Track Changes' option?

    If you don't then the recipients will almost certainly be able to
    see the proposal you sent to the previous customer - and all the
    other customers that have been included somewhere along the chain.

...and the document will eventually become *huge*.

Quote from the first article listed:

    If you're wondering why you haven't heard about them before, chalk
    it up to Trustworthy Computing, a Redmond policy which leaves
    everyone exposed to attack until MS is satisfied with its patches
    and spills the beans. We prefer to know these things as soon as
    possible so we can look into temporary workarounds and shutter the
    window of opportunity straight away, but MS is clearly opposed to
    that approach. (One workaround we rather like is called Apache, but
    we digress....)

...and (nothing new under the Microsoft)...

    we have to mention that we've received anecdotal reports that some
    of the MS patches have been breaking some of the machines they're
    installed on. So do test them before integrating them into critical
    systems.

Cheers; Leon