[plug] Controlling the initial geometry of a program under X

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Thu Apr 11 18:20:17 WST 2002

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, David Buddrige wrote:

> really like to do is to adjust the X settings somehow so that the window for
> emacs was a particular size/position that is roughly central on my screen.
> I've been searching google groups, but have not been able to figure this one

Its probably not discussed on usenet much, because its all in the manuals.

emacs(1):

       -geometry geometry
               Set the Emacs window's width, height, and position
               as  specified.   The  geometry specification is in
               the standard X format; see X(1) for more  informa­
               tion.  The width and height are specified in char­
               acters; the default is 80 by 24.
       You  can  set  X  default values for your Emacs windows in
       your .Xresources file (see xrdb(1)).   Use  the  following
       format:

              emacs.keyword:value
       geometry (class Geometry)
               Sets  the  geometry  of  the  Emacs   window   (as
               described above).

> out... is someone able to enlighten me?
>
> thanks heaps in advance. 8-)

HTH. This is in the emacs manual, but its a standard thing for any
well-behaved X application. See any book on X.

--
        The origin of Truth is Doubt - Socrates