[plug] Some victories for Linux

Arkem (Paul) arkem at mornmist.2y.net
Sun Apr 14 00:34:26 WST 2002

> PieLINK/PieNETWORKS, who have 200+ kiosks in WA and nowhere near
> that many elsewhere in Australia used to use some form of Linux,
> I'm guessing they still do, but I haven't walked past one since.  I
> had a play on one a few years ago when I didn't know much about
> Linux, and it seemed very well locked down.

They're are still a couple of these in the city and they are running
a flavour of linux. They're also pretty well locked down except that
Netscape 4.x that it runs will let you view the local filesystem
(anything you have permission to) without putting money in, last time
I had a fiddle with one it happily displayed /etc/passwd for me (not
that it was useful). But for all intents in purposes its secure and
its wonderful to see linux becoming more common in everyday use.

Paul C