[plug] fdisk and the 32GB BIOS limit

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Apr 12 18:15:03 WST 2002

I have a PC with an older Award BIOS that hangs on bootup,
when auto-detecting a >32GB HDD ( >64k virtual cylindars).
  The HDD provides a jumper to lie to the BIOS about its size.
But now, how do I tell the linux kernel that its really a 40GB drive?
I cant find any kernel parameters, so it looks like its up to fdisk to
write it in the partiton table.
   My BIOS thinks the disk is 64k x 16 head x 63 cyl. (32GB)
I intend to divide the actual no. sectors by 16 and 63, round down to an
integer, and set that as the number of cyl's in fdisk. (77,557)
  Does that sound safe?  It means going past the "dont touch this unless
you know exactly what you are doing" warnings, so thought I should ask :-)

regards, Mike.

( Here is my HDD data:
http://www.maxtor.com/products/DiamondMax/diamondmaxPlus/QuickSpecs/42093.htm
)