[plug] PLUG sponsored newbie tutorials

sol sol at autonomon.net
Wed Apr 17 18:28:35 WST 2002

> Someone brought this up a while ago.. is there anything happening on this
> front? I'd still love to give a few tutes on the user side, maybe even a
> Perl intro?
'Twas me I admit it. I'd shelved it for a month or two, though i have been
giving it some thought and enquiring about a venue. I was going to save the
first meeting until June with the aim of starting a 10-12 week "Intro to
Linux/Open Source for Newbies" but am presently considering bringing it
forward because I'd like to be well prepared and do lots of publicity to gets
the crowds in.
I'm going to take Monday night off work to go to the workshop @ UCC. If
anyone interested in helping out with this please accost me (I'm the tall,
skinny, ugly guy with glasses - no, not that one, the other one ;-) ) Perhaps
a preliminary meeting may be arranged.

> I'm not a guru, but i think i could save a few boobs :)
Neither am I. Infact I'm not far off newbie myself, and that's perhaps one of
the reasons I want to do this. The memories of being absolutely confused are
still fresh in my mind. Plus I desperately want to see a decent software
regime being used in education, my field of study.
BTW, a set of tutorials for more advanced topics has been discussed and is on
the cards (ie: shell scripting, networking, etc) but we thought that we'd get
first things done first. :-)

regards,

sol