[plug] is rsync not good for iso updates because highlycompressed - whole image changes if only few updated files?

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 18 00:21:17 WST 2002

Sound's 'bout right...
BTW rsync works on block comparisons, so if the CD is the same bar five
blocks, rsync knows to only download those changed blocks (after doing
heaps of comparison work)
Mitel (E-Smith) are currently trialling 5.5alpha, and the rync from
planetmirror (when it's up >:( ) is a god-send. They'd change 4-5 packages
and bam! - my modem used to melt that little bit more.

Now with rsync most good ISO sites follow this example update style:-

CD_ver_1.iso
CD_ver_2.iso
CD_ver_3.iso -> symlink to CD_current.iso
CD_current.iso

and the next version would be :-

CD_ver_1.iso
CD_ver_2.iso
CD_ver_3.iso
CD_ver_4.iso -> symlink to CD_current.iso
CD_current.iso

So all you need to do is rsync the CD_current.iso to stay, well,
current...

Regards,

Craig F.