[plug] [OT] More funnies, totally <G>

Peter J. Nicol peternicol at vrl.com.au
Thu Apr 18 23:43:00 WST 2002

> Her: "Well, I needed more space from the hard drive so I could get more
>      JPGs and WAVs from my friends on mIRC."
> Me:  "Ok, so what did you do?"
> Her: "I just deleted all the blank files from my computer."
> Me:  "Blank files?"
> Her: "Yes, blank files. I deleted tham all."
> Me:  "What exactly is a blank file?"
> Her: "When you run File Manager, every file shows a picture. I just
>      deleted all the ones with the blank page picture."

Strangely enough, I have no problem with this behaviour.  Unlike the
stubborn moron with the Apple computer in one of the previous stories,
this is actually logical behaviour of a sort.

Within the 'desktop metaphor' is logical to infer that blank pages
contain no information and are safe to 'trash' or 'recycle'.  This is
more a problem with the user interface than the user.

Of course, education would help, but so would better design.  Either
that, or people need to pass a test and get a licence to drive a
computer.