[plug] Schools [taken] out today?

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Fri Apr 19 12:06:31 WST 2002

> Brian, you said "MS Technology of the time" so this doesnt include XP,
newer
> versions of Office etc?

Correct.  I have a "Microsoft(R) Technology in Schools CD Kit"  in my hands
and it's only up to WinNT4/Win98/Office2K + the other app software they
peddle..

I believe there are variations available under certain conditions and for an
additional fee, but essentially, no upgrade on that without paying a new
fee.

> Anyone interested in putting some evidence for this together and
presenting
> it to the Premier? If  not, the West Australian?

Yes, I am very interested and a short time ago I started planning a LIES
Project (LIES = Linux in the Education System).  Unfortunately, due to my
own workload this has not progressed very far.  If interested parties would
like to contact me off-list I would like to arrange a meeting sometime soon
to brain-storm it.  Bearing in mind it will *have* to be a
Tech+Politcs+Business approach.

> Brian etc, do you have any references to the $30 mil expediture and what
it
> involved?

Hmm .. not on-hand, but it should all be in the State budget figures.  I
have dome some work for schools and this is the rough figure quoted from
multiple IT (and quasi-IT) people from within the system as well as some
people higher up the tree.  The Qld one was published in the newspaper last
year.

- Brian.
brian at paradigmit.com.au