[plug] Schools [taken] out today?

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Apr 19 12:24:12 WST 2002

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:18:18 +0800
"Brian Tombleson" <brian at paradigmit.com.au> wrote:

> > > All this is errelovant as Microsoft has done something even more
> > > dispicable. Its provided a copy of all its office products, from Word to
> > > Frontpage to Win XP, to Department of Education Schools at no charge to
> > > the school.
>
> > Are you sure that WA Ed Dept was given free licenses for all M$ Products?
> > Is this free for everything forever?
>
> No, they have *not* given it free.
>
> A couple of years ago (2? 3?) the WA EdDept paid something like $30mil for a
> "blanket" license for MS the technology of the time.
>
> Last year, the Qld EdDept paid $80mil for similar.

Hi Brian

It was reported as $77M and it was for all Qld govt departments. I got a bit
cross about this and wrote on their web form and received a reply. It's long.
Discard now or read on. It was quite enlightening from a state that was then
promoting itself as a centre for IT innovation.

When considering the ministers arguments, keep in mind how much money was
involved and what effect it would have on Australian IT activity if it was spent
differently.

(I sought permission to reproduce the reply but never got around to posting it
back to PLUG)

All the best
Harry

Dear Mr McNally

Re: Permission to Post my Response to the Perth Linux Group

I refer to your email of 8 June 2001 requesting permission to post my
response (regarding the purchase of Microsoft software for the Queensland
Public Service) to the Perth Linux Group.

As my reply is a public document, you are welcome to post the contents,
however I request that my response is posted in its entirety.

I trust this information is helpful to you.  If I can be of any further
assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Yours sincerely

PAUL LUCAS MP
Minister for Innovation
and Information Economy

Dear Mr McNally

Re: Purchase of Microsoft Software for the Queensland Public Service

I refer to your email of 17 May 2001 to the Honourable Peter Beattie MP,
Premier and Minister for Trade regarding the purchase of Microsoft software
for the Queensland Public Service.  Your correspondence has been referred to
me for consideration and reply.

Let me assure you that each Agency in Queensland operates as a separate
entity in the purchase of software products, and each Agency evaluated their
requirements prior to entering into this arrangement.  There was no edict
that they purchase the Microsoft product.

The majority of agencies in Queensland are already using Microsoft products
so the arrangement you refer to was not a departure of platform.  This
arrangement was entered into because it offered the majority of users in
Queensland access to products they were already using, at far more
attractive rates, and also provided many additional benefits including
consultancy and licensing issues.

Your email points out that Linux and related systems are 'free' - from our
perspective 'free' is not quite correct.  As I stated, the majority of
agencies in Queensland are existing Microsoft users.  The costs of going to
a Linux platform would be prohibitive, based on software and systems
transition, hardware compatibility and infrastructure changes to Government.

This State will carefully evaluate and assess, on an ongoing basis,
strategies for best addressing its requirements for systems and IT
platforms.  All possible platforms will be considered and evaluated in line
with the current need.  Whether a transition to another technology will
occur in the future cannot be decided, as it is something that given the
cost and scale of the investment needs thorough and careful consideration.

Mr John Parker, Director of Government Technology, in my Department may be
contacted on (07) 3224 6052 or email john.parker at iie.qld.gov.au
<mailto:john.parker at iie.qld.gov.au> if you wish to discuss this matter
further.

I trust the above addresses your concerns.

Yours sincerely

PAUL LUCAS MP
Minister for Innovation
and Information Economy