[plug] webcahe

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Apr 21 14:24:12 WST 2002

> Hi all I have been trying to speed up my internet
There is rarely much you can do for linux boxes. The MRW tweaking etc
that windows responds to isn't needed as linux has a sensible default
(as do newer versions of windows I think). Other than (for ppp) making
sure compression is negotiated correctly, there is not much to be done.
I've found squid to be ineffective for a LAN of 4 people (mine) with
different browsing habits and browsers that have working caching.

> I noted the following
> ppp0 > 203.57.132.141.webcache > 65.34.249.96.3483: tcp 0
> ppp0 > 203.57.132.141.webcache > 65.34.249.96.3497: tcp 0 (DF)
You really need to say who is who and give some context. Looks like tcp
bad idea and (c) result in an utterly broken tcp/ip stack.

> ? would this be slowing thing down
Yep. It provides this lovely thing called reliable transmission.
Downside is it imposes overheads on the link.