[plug] webcahe

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 22 09:44:21 WST 2002

Read the squid docs, or look at squid.conf.  A redirector gets passed a
string that allows it to check the URL against a blacklist.  Thats a
simple redirector, but as a redirector is an external program, you could
get quite creative about what you do with the info within the redirector
itself.  The URL in my prev post is a perl script with an inbuilt
blacklist.  You can run a cron'd update script to always get the latest,
which overcomes one of the problems with blacklists (updating).

My emphasis has been to block adds to increase the effective modem
bandwidth, not block porn etc, which blacklists are less effective at as
you want 100%, and get somewhat less.  If the odd add slips through, so
be it, but overall, I am in front.  Its particularly effective on sites
such as dilbert etc.

BillK