[plug] squid proxy on a standalone machine

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 22 13:17:57 WST 2002

I have deleted the other messages and I cant remember the subject line,
but for someone who asked if squid makes sence on a standalone (uses
galeon as a browser, pointing directly at the proxy - I wonder if you
specify a proxy in this fashion whether galeon & therefore Mozilla do no
internal proxying and just rely on the external?)

I ran calamaris against my laptop which has a caching dns, squid proxy
(localhost only) and a redirector for adds.  This was over
Thursday/Friday last week and includes some largish pdf's, searching and
web pages with genetic data which can tend to be on the huge side.

In effect, a 43% hit rate and a saving of some 10M of bandwidth based on
one individuals browsing habits:

BillK

Relevant bits:
status                             request      %    Byte       %   sec
kB/sec
--------------------------------- --------- ------ -------- ------ ----
-------
HIT                                    6270  43.39 10377278  13.40
0    3.59
MISS                                   8142  56.35 67047920  86.55
2    3.69
ERROR                                    38   0.26    41253   0.05
106    0.01
-------
Sum                                   14450        77466451
2    3.08