[plug] Linux viability on the desktop (was: Article: Klez and OpenOffice should both spur Linux use)

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 23 09:56:17 WST 2002

<snip good stuff>

> I just think that the advocating of Linux on the desktop in
> general in the
> Linux community is being tackled in the wrong way.  People
> are addressing
> the wrong issues that businesses have.
>
> IMHO of course :)
>

> / Ben

It's not an unrealistic opinion. Most people are comfortable with what
they have, "it's a part of running a business" is the usual reply.
However Microsoft has made price an issue with "guilty until proven
innocent" lawsuits and "pay as you go" licensing agreements.
My usual retort is to say something along the lines of :-
"For all this money, they don't support you or fix glaring problems.
Unless you have a credit card. Remember why I set your MS Word from AUS to
UK dictionary?"

On one hand the management are getting clever (GPL limits commercial
viability, you can't charge for your programs even if they only rely on a
procedure of a  GPL'ed program/library), and yet they are so stupid to be
leaning on their potential customers in the form of school students.
(Maybe the students should be made aware of the legal bullying and
tactics. A pro-GPL "get'em while they're young" campaign that minimises
the dual evils of Microsoft and rampant piracy of good commercial
programs)

YAHO (Yet Another Honest Opinion)

Craig F.