[plug] Linux viability on the desktop

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Tue Apr 23 12:03:25 WST 2002

> On Tuesday 23 April 2002 10:11, Ben Jensz wrote:
> > there isn't a Linux solution for every area that I would have to cover
> > here at work currently.
>
> What are you missing so far?

Equivalents to this software:

Photoshop
After Affects
Bryce
Quickbooks Pro
QuickPayroll
Radio Studio automation/editing software (Virtuoso)
All of the functionality in all of the MS Office XP Pro applications (Word,
Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook, Publisher) that works reliably (bar the
bloody annoying paperclip, thats certainly no loss :P)

And some of the interoperability that software has.

> > And I'm not going back to having different
> > platforms as I've only just gotten it to a standardized state :P
>
> No need to. Just standardise on Linux. (-:

Well I'm hoping that at the end of the current leasing term we are on, Linux
might be at a stage where it is suitable for desktop use :).  Since we've
got this software and these computers, I don't think we'll be changing
anything until the leasing period is up :).  There is also one machine that
wouldn't be changing to Linux either, and thats our Avid video editing
system (i.e. expensive software and hardware).

Even though, I don't know whether I'll still be working here at the end of
our leasing term anyway.  So whoever is in charge of it then will probably
still go the MS way again, as Linux knowledge is rare up here (Broome).
There is only two other networks in town that I know of that have Linux
servers running part of or all of the services, and thats the catholic
school (I'm the support for that :P) and the Shire's network (which is run
by the fella that is indirectly responsible for me getting interested in
Linux in the first place).

/ Ben