[plug] Darwin OS - think different

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Apr 25 09:38:10 WST 2002

On Wednesday 24 April 2002 22:58, Arie Hol wrote:
> At 09:30 AM 24-04-2002 +0800, Jacqueline wrote:
>> I thought these people were joking ... they're not?

>> "The real operating system hiding under the newest version of the
>>  Macintosh operating system (MacOS X) is called... Darwin! That's right,

> Murdoch Uni has a multimedia lab running a dozen or so Mac G4's which have
> both OS/X 9 and OS/X 10 (nee Darwin) running on them, the Icon actually has
> the word "Darwin" on it as well as a large red "X".

I was impressed to discover the (unofficial) Darwin mascot, Hexley
(http://www.hexley.com/ - yes, it's cute), a platypus dressed in a daemon
suit, although a platypus is an odd choice from actual Darwinism's PoV, it's
one of those many animals (like turtles) which only show up in the fossil
record as themselves (ie, nothing that can be interpreted as an ancestor with
any amount of stretched interpretation). It's also an odd choice from Apple's
PoV, since a platypus doesn't have anything in common with apples, or with
Apple's home turf - although it _is_ different. (-:

Speaking of `think different', I've been toying with some images this morning,
JPGs and source (GIMP XCF) at http://leon.brooks.fdns.net/think-different/ -
each subject was chosen for:

  * doing something different to their peers; and

  * bringing freedom to a lot of people; and

  * being reluctant about or indifferent to the above in themselves
    (think of it as `accidental modesty').

Cheers; Leon