[plug] Sound on Linux

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Apr 26 11:00:58 WST 2002

PLUGers

Our OSS list has a some little activities going at the mo' and I'd like to know
what minumum system people would be happy with to stream net audio.

This includes:
the version of your fave distro(s) (the newer the better),
CPU + speed + mem
modem requirements (how slow can you go)
sound card (older the better)
can it stream RealMedia and OGGs
confirmation that it can/cannot support Windows Media.

You might like to comment on ease of setup because squeezing a useable system
out of a distro that's harder to configure makes it less useful for newbies.

With the information, I'd like to build up some demo machines based on different
distros at Computer Angels for the NextStage. I may put my hand up and call on
people if we haven't got some of the gear. You could reply off-list with your
ingredients but commenting to the list might be helpful and as an hysterical
record. Scuse the silliness, this actually has a very serious intent.

The oss list is not for technical discussion, hence the question to PLUG.

Hope you can help
Harry