[plug] Changing ownership of files

Steege, Phil E phil.e.steege at lmco.com
Fri Apr 26 19:18:14 WST 2002

Check the man page for chown

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard [mailto:wpickett at iprimus.com.au]
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 7:16 AM
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Subject: [plug] Changing ownership of files

I recently had a little trouble with the everyday account I use on my home
system. I ended up copying all my personal files to /root (as root),
deleting
and re-creating the offending account and then copying the files back into
the home dir of the now new account (I know I should of asked for help
before
it came to that, but you live and learn :) The only problem is that root now

seems to own all the files I regularly work with and open office,
especially,
won't allow me to save changes, even with permissions set to 777. OO works
with the files fine from the root account, so the problem seems to be
entirely one of ownership. Is it possible, from root, to set the ownership
of
a file? Or can anyone think of another way around this?