[plug] Fwd: [seul-edu] Fwd: [GKD] SchoolNet: Computers for Schools in Thailand

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sun Apr 28 09:11:14 WST 2002

At 05:53 PM 04/26/2002, you wrote:
>Staggering economies of scale - no less than 4300 Thai schools Linuxed
>already!

I am on the [GKD] list, and read Mr Noronha's article with interest. In
January, he also wrote about Linux in Goa classrooms, RedHat I think. In
this same article he mentioned, and I found the emailed article but not the
link:

"For instance, in 1998, the Mexican government embarked on an ambitious
attempt to equip its vast and under-funded school system with computers
running the free operating system GNU/Linux. It expected to save up to
$124 million in software licenses, and part of this could go to buy
computer hardware for some 126,000 public schools.

Mexico's RedEscolar project inspired Brazil and Argentina, but "fewer
than 20" out of 4500 schools could run GNU/Linux machines, primarily due
to a lack of support, both technical and political.

Besides a chronic scarcity of personnel familiar with GNU/Linux, a lack
of compatible hardware also caused roadblocks in plans."

But now I read:
http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/news_print.asp?id=6680
Fox and Microsoft Launch Plan to End Digital Divide in Mexico

"Microsoft will plan a fundamental role in Mexico's digital development
as well as in Fox's plan.

The computer software giant has signed an agreement with Mexico to
contribute 50,000 copies of its Windows and Office operating systems and
Encarta encyclopedia on the same terms that U.S. colleges and
universities use - that is at just 10 percent of the regular retail
cost.

Fox plans for all rural towns to be connected to the Internet by 2006,
including some 145,000 public schools."

I guess that leaves the Mexican government to purchase the super duper MHz
and Mb machines that the donated os and office applications will require.

In reference to the RedEscolar project, do you think it is true that Linux
requires more technical support ? Or is it because Linux is a diverse brand
and dare I say, Windows is ubiqutous with computers to those people that
are new to computers?

All the best
Jacqueline
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)