[plug] OT: "slow tcp/ip"?

Rob Davies rjdarts at xis.com.au
Sun Apr 28 12:06:56 WST 2002

Sorry a bit late, but try using compression in your ppp modules or kernel
compile, but also check that your ISP's DNS number is recorded in
resolv.conf in ppp as nameserver ???.???.???.??? and that you are using
async module not sync in ppp.

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 craig at postnewspapers.com.au wrote:

> > I have written to the isp's support and been told:
> > "... In regards to your connectivity, if you are experiencing slow
> > connections, it could be one of two things, either the modem speed is not
> > too fast, or the protocal tcp/ip on your machine is starting to slow down
> > and will eventually cause a dead connection. "
>
> Have you tried new phone cables? Got telstra to test your line? The
> symptoms you've described match bad phone line quality perfectly.
>
> _or_
>
> Set up a windoze box with ppp and _then_ call the ISP. Troubleshoot that
> (clean-installed win98/2k really isn't too bad, its just when you
> _install_ anything that it goes mad...) and apply what you discover to
> your firewall.
>
> > I've never heard of slow tcp/ip.
> Try talking to their advanced support people. Those usually have a
> brain. Some basic support guys are really good of course but the average
> is... painful.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer                                       IT Manager, POST Newspapers
> http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/
> GPG Key Fingerprint:        AF1C ABFE 7E64 E9C8 FC27  C16E D3CE CDC0 0E93 380D
> I don't think for my employer. Unless stated otherwise, my mail is my opinion.

Rob Davies
rjdarts at xis.com.au
ICQ: 10432219
"To converse, is one scenario that separates us, from the Apes."