[plug] OpenOffice.org

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon Apr 29 16:19:38 WST 2002

I am participating in the OpenOffice.org community as a contributor in the
documentation and marketing projects. As some of you are aware, the release
of OpenOffice.org 1.0 is imminent and the OpenOffice.org community is in a
flurry of activity.

What do PLUGgers think of the idea of using the OpenOffice.org Release 1.0
to promote PLUG and raise some funds for Linux.conf.au ? There are some
people that prefer to purchase a CD rather than download from the Internet,
particularly those that are unaccustomed to installing software.

The OpenOffice.org Marketing Project has generated flyers, CD labels,
postcards etc so I expect that it would able to be packaged up so we can
make the effort worthwhile. There are binaries for Linux (Intel and PPC),
Solaris and Windows. I would quite understand if PLUG only wished to
provide/sell Linux versions, but perhaps some of you that are IT
consultants may wish to use the non-Linux versions in your business.

Why I find OpenOffice.org particularly interesting is that it is
cross-platform and this provides the opportunity to talk to people and
organisations that would not otherwise be aware of Open Source software and
the enveloping community.

I know of one Linux consultancy in the east who is looking to mirror some
of the distributions and sell the CDs (various binaries and localisations).
I think they were going to charge $22. There have been various discussions
as to what goes on a CD, and I think most people are focussing on the one
binary plus source etc. Knowing that most people that I have been talking
to would not know what to do with the source, I was wondering whether you
can fit on several binaries on the one CD ?

Also, we have very few mirrors for OpenOffice.org in the Southern
Hemisphere, so if you can assist with this, please let me know.

Does anyone want to help ? :)

All the best
Jacqueline
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)