[plug] pine and pop

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu Aug 1 16:38:21 WST 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 09:33:59PM +0800, Simon Scott wrote:
> I thought about using fetchmail but it wants sendmail or
> equivalent which is overkill and difficult for him to setup for
> extra pop accounts.

Even if you haven't got sendmail open and listening on port 25, if
it is installed and configured as a local MDA, you can tell
fetchmail to use it by specifying "-m something" on the commandline
- fetchmail's man page has more details.

I always wondered whether a Linux system would work without an MDA
of some form. eg, Exim comes standard on Debian, and many packages
in Debian _require_ a mail-transport-agent of some form, including
fetchmail. How would one go about setting up a machine that did not
have an MDA, yet still be usable?

AFAICT, you need an MDA for anything sensible whether its really
listening on port 25, or just a local delivery agent invoked when
the need comes.

Regards,

Bernard.

--