[plug] Grub Boot Prompt !

Chris Andre CAndre at komatsu.com.au
Fri Aug 2 09:11:50 WST 2002

Hi all,

I have had the misfortune of bringing my computer down to a grub log on
screen.
I was busily looking around for ways to trim off excess and unused files
while in Packet Manager and have made a severe mess of it. Looking in the
installed
packages section was the listing for kernel-2.4.18-3    kernel-2.4.18-4
and kernel-2.4.18-5
I have used RedHat's Up2date tool to install the later two kernels in the
past as I am not entirely sure with the kernel rebuilding process. Anyway ,
thinking to myself I
should be fairly right to uninstall 2.4.18-3 as I boot into -4 I went ahead.

The uninstall seemed o.k, so just for the hell of it I shut it down to make
sure it was o.k on the reboot !!
WRONG.... All I am presented with now is the graphical logon screen and a
grub prompt.

grub>

typing "grub>help"  gives me a list of valid commands to use at this prompt
but no obvious answers.

Could someone please put me out of my misery and tell me if it is only a
matter of editing a file ?
Or something worse ? If further information is required please advise.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Running RedHat 7.3 Valhalla
Primary Hard drive 20gig hda ...partitioned with 50meg boot , 500meg swap
and balance as normal directory structure

Chris