[plug] No passwd for user

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Aug 2 09:50:39 WST 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:

> In Debian Woody I set the password policies to min letters=0, when it asks
> for a passwd if i don't enter one it complains, if i enter something like
> today it also complains that it is to simple. I need a simple user without
> a password. Is this possible?

By doing this you're asking everyone to have numberic passwords.

You can (as root) passwd -d fred, to set fred's password to nothing
or if you're (ver bad idea) making a policy decision that in gneral any user
can set his/her password to '' then you need to change:

password   required   pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 md5
to                                                   *
password   required   pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=0 max=8 md5

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!