[plug] Ripping to MP3

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 2 12:42:35 WST 2002

I am the LinuxAlien wrote:
> I have a 32x cdrom drive with DMA enabled and it only ripped at 1.1x. is
> there some way to speed it up?

If you're using cdparanoia or some program (like grip) that uses it or
embeds it, yes: turn off the paranoia and quailty control features. That
way it won't overlap reads, do scratch detection etc. Personally I
reccomend patience instead...

> I was ripping to wav. The MP3 encoding is
> slow as well.
 > I have a Cyrix II 266 with 32Mb ram.

The MP3 encoding is slow because your computer is slow, really. Maybe
some commercial encoders are fast, but probably at the expense of
quality. You only rip once - you listen many many times.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)