[plug] When apt-get just wont apt-get

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 2 12:51:39 WST 2002

> So i have libpisock4 installed even tho ximian is trying to get me to
> install libpisock3 but now i am unable to apt-get anything else because
> it keeps insisting that i install libpisock3. Evolution works fine so
> what i would like to know is how can i flush apt-get so that it wont
> keep asking me to install this package?

The Ximian packages are dodgy, it seems, and try to replace a std debian
libs pacakge with a conflicting and incompatable one. Presumably there
are packages from the main archive that depend on "libpisock3" but the
ximian packages insist on 4 yet don't rename the lib files. Big no-no to
have a new pkg name but conflicting file locations, at least it is for
libraries.

You _can_ force dpkg to overwrite the library, but this could cause all
sorts of nasty breakage. You could also force dpkg to purge the ximian
"libpisock4" and then apt-get install libpisock3 and see if it works ok
with the ximian packaged apps. Once again, possible system breakage is
risked.

The best way IMHO:
	 dpkg --purge <everything Ximian>
	 remove the Ximian lines from sources.list
	 apt-get update then apt-get install evolution
(to get the properly packaged Evolution in the debian archives)

Why do you want Ximian's version instead? Is there something better
about it?

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)