[plug] Ripping to MP3

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Aug 4 02:05:06 WST 2002

Jeff Williams wrote:

> What encoder are you using? The fastest I used was gogo for mp3's, but
> now I use oggenc. Ogg Vorbis - better quality and no patent issues -
> all good.

I recently ripped a CD for one of my housemates, all windows users w/o
any ripping software. I did it under the guest user account on my
machine to avoid messing with my own auto-filed mp3+ogg collection.
Apparently the latest debian version of grip defaults to ogg . I didn't
notice when I ripped the tracks except to think "wow that encoded fast"
but I've just got a new system so I didn't think much of it. Used
smbclient to dump them on Patrick's machine and off he went - then,
after playing some, noticed that they weren't mp3s  - the system already
supported oggs. I found it quite amusing, esp since he commented on the
good quality :-)