[plug] Embarassing debian question

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 6 14:05:35 WST 2002

> I spend a reasonable ammount
> of time keeping the box in sync with sid.   This is becomming an annoyance

Hmm. Stop updating it? Woody is now stable and you don't need to update
it all the time (ok except for the last weeks' _flood_ of security
fixes). Sid sure isn't - but if something isn't broken, leaving it alone
might be the wise choice.

> Does anyone have any advice that will ease the transition?

As Leon Blackwell wrote, use apt preferences and pinning. Consider
downgrading packages slowly over time, as and if you have problems with
them. You may find you have no issues with it at sid - I know I ran my
desktop on sid for a while before learning to use apt prefs etc to keep
moz and deps at sid and the rest at woody. Most of the probs I had were
with package upgrades and installations - usually once things were
running they ran well.

If you do decide to go back to woody but find some pkgs that just won't
downgrade, try pinning them and their dependencies to sid - I'll attach
my apt preferences as an example.

Oh, and
	- Change the root password
	- have the "upgrader" screamed at / fired / flayed / shot
		(take your pick)

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)