[plug] School Web Page

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Tue Aug 6 15:10:42 WST 2002

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 02:51:35PM +0800, James Elliott wrote:
> In other words, it is really just page design saving as HTML and using a few
> hyperlinks.
>
> In the interests of promoting Open Source Software, I was thinking of taking
> Open Office 1.0 to the school and using the "Autopilot" feature in the Open
> Office HTML Editor. .... what do you think?

If it's just a matter of familiarising them with the sort of thing
that it's possible to have (and put) on Web pages, that's probably not
a bad idea.

If you would like them to gain some (even a small) understanding of
what happens behind the scenes on a Web page, I'd suggest Mozilla's
Composer. Also WYSIWYG editing, but the buttons are more directly
related to what Web pages are about, and there's a tab for peeking at
(and changing if you want) the HTML underneath, as opposed to OOo's
menu-based toggling between layout and source and its pretend
word-processor interface.

My personal feeling is that there's a lot to be said for using Mozilla
and saying "this is the Web, not a word processor document, so we have
different constraints and different possibilities". In shorter words,
perhaps, for your audience :-)

Colin