[plug] School Web Page

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 6 17:22:23 WST 2002

> Font support is alos much nicer, though I haven't done much to fix font
> issues under X on my Debian workstation.

I have, somewhat ineptly. I need access to about 2000 fonts acquired
from MacOS and windows formats, both Type 1 and TrueType, to work with
some of the stuff generated by the production dep't at work. Problem:
hinting. Most of the installed fonts are _really_ ugly at small point
sizes, and moz keeps on picking them for some websites because I have an
exact match to the font defined in the CSS.

For a while I had everything working well but then I had to make the
"extra" fonts accessable to X, not just ghostscript - and things have
been ugly, ugly, ugly since then.

So - any idea how to beat mac and windows fonts into good-looking
submission, and identify what fonts will and won't work well? I'm so
tired of ugly fonts and the huge amounts of effort needed to get
anything to look decent under linux that at times I almost consider
installing win2k - then I remember the EULA and the (obscene) price tag.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)