[plug] Re: Bandwidth prices [was School Web Page]

Brinley Ang behaviour at iprimus.com.au
Wed Aug 7 21:23:27 WST 2002

Brian Tombleson wrote:

><snip>
>
>>gamers. 3gigs probably won't cut it. Which means (with WestNet) taking
>>the 6gig 512k plan at some $139/month. Last time I looked at WestNet's
>>plans we could've got 8 gig 512k for less... hence my extreme
>>irritation. iiNet had decent plans for a little while too (ie unmetered
>>off-peak etc) but have since gone to Bliink (Biin iiT) plans. Yay, 3
>>gigs per month, a dynamic IP, a bunch of blocked ports and throttling to
>>56k? Woohoo. The others are all worse. WestNet doesn't offer the option
>>of throttling to 56k after going over limit (one of the few things about
>>
><snip>
>
>Actually, iiNet's pricing structure is about what it is in the rest of the
>sane world (not counting half the US which really is boom-or-bust these
>days, and of course, I'm generously including us in the 'sane' world).  Most
>(all?) or Europe and the developed Asian nations (Sing, HK, KL) are about
>the same as iiNet.  Westnet's prices were slightly "too good" and it
>probably wouldn't have been a sustainable business model.

Just want to make a correction, i just came from singapore and no the
prices in arent any where close to iinet.
In Singapore, u can get unlimited access/download 56k dial up at about
1cent per min including cost of the phonecall, no email acc, no setup
fee, no monthly fee, no cust service.
There are 3 affordable forms of broadband: cable, adsl and powerline.
Not very sure of the prices though but Cable is about $78 per month and
setup fee is about $50. Capped at uplink 15kbps and down link uncapped.
Modem is rented and included in the monthly $78 fee.
Adsl 256k unlimited, uncapped and no reshaping at $30-$50 and the modem
comes free with a contract.
The powerline internet is still on trial.
Cant say much about the other places but believes most of the sane world
is still much cheaper and without all those hidden costs