[plug] Boot

bob bob at fots.org.au
Thu Aug 8 11:38:11 WST 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 17:48, Craig Ringer wrote:

> > You can have a look at what each service is doing, and reduce it.
>
> Also - leaving things installed but not enabled on boot can be very
> handy. Great for postgresql etc that take a little while (relatively
> speaking) to load on boot. I don't use postgresql regularly at home
> (yet!) so I just "sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql start" when needed.
>
> Unfortunately whenever I upgrade a package like postgresql, the package
> restores all its /etc/rc?.d/ links :-( w/o asking. Any ideas how to get
> debian to _properly_ disable a service from loading at boot?

Oooh, oooh! one I think I can answer :).

Have a look at your postgresql init, it says...
# NOTE TO SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS #
# To stop postgresql running, do
#   ln -sf /bin/false /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/can_i_run
# To re-enable it, do
#   rm /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/can_i_run

apt should recognise the status and not play with it and all you need to
do is some small scripts to start and stop...

Hope thats correct :).

--
bob
Cave canem...te necet lingendo.