[plug] What are all these commands to build a kernel

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Aug 9 06:32:18 WST 2002

On Thu, 08 Aug 2002 15:21:55 -0400, Steege, Phil E wrote:

| I see many different commands in kernel building tutorials.
| Some use 'make clean', some use 'make mrproper'.
| What are these used for, and when is it appropriate to use them?

'make clean' will remove any bits and pieces of compiled kernel that might be lying around. 'make mrproper' is similar, but removes even more files and sets the kernel .config file back to the default. You only need them if you've just compiled a kernel, and now you're about to compile a completely different one.

| I normally just use the following:
|
| make xconfig
| make dep
| make
| make bzImage
| make modules
| make install
| make modules_install
| configure LILO or GRUB

You don't need to do 'make' and 'make bzImage' - just 'make bzImage' should be fine.  Other than that, it looks okay.  Here's what I normally use:

make mrproper
make menuconfig
make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install && \
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot

The &&s run all the commands after each other, so long as the previous command didn't give any errors.  I'd imagine the last line is similar to your 'make install'.

CP.