[plug] Warning: PC Hardware can catch fire.

Gavin Rogers grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au
Fri Aug 9 13:37:47 WST 2002

At 22:58 8/08/2002 +0800, you wrote:
>So now we need to be putting smoke detectors inside computers :) The added
>bonus
>being that when they're triggered by dust build-up you know its time to clean
>the machine. Probably not a bad idea for machines that are on 24/7.
>Perhaps even
>link them in with a breaker to cut the power.

I think the power supply in machines we are getting now are complete junk.
I've had more computer failures due to power supply problems than any other
fault!

Opening up any modern power supply reveals they are very poorly put
together with hot-melt glue holding everything in place, the fuses are
soldered to the board and components are chosen that are very close to
their maximum rating during normal operation (like choosing 250V
capacitors). All these lead up to a power supply that goes boom! one day...

Also, I'm astonished that computers catch fire like that !! That's what the
*FUSE* is for. If the fuse didn't blow and continued to function while a
current high enough to cause fire was being drawn then the power supply has
a *FAULTY (read ILLEGAL) DESIGN*.

Putting a surge protector in line will probably help protect the power
supply from the damage that causes these problems, but there is no excuse
for a power supply to pass its 240V supply voltage onto its DC side after a
failure. None at all. Shouldn't happen...

Forget trying to get yourself a year-long uptime :-) Cleaning out the dust
in your computer (and inside the powersupply if you know what you're doing)
with a paintbrush every now and again makes it less likely your machine
will blow up.

--
Gavin Rogers,                 | Good judgment comes from bad experience,
Systems Administrator         | and a lot of that comes from