[plug] SLPWA General Meeting Sunday 11 August

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Aug 9 15:25:25 WST 2002

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Jacqueline McNally wrote:

> Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 17:48:33 +0800
> From: Jacqueline McNally <jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au>
> To: discussion at slpwa.linux.org.au, plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Subject: [plug] SLPWA General Meeting Sunday 11 August
>
> Society of Linux Professionals (Western Australia) Inc
> http://www.slpwa.asn.au/
>
> Agenda for General Meeting to be held on Sunday 11 August 1.00 pm at 4
> Wakefield St, Carlisle.
>
> 1. Chairperson's opening remarks
> 2. Apologies
> 3. Minutes of Previous Meeting 30 June 2002
> 4. General Business
> 4.1 Code of Ethics
> 4.2 Membership fees to be adopted
> 4.3 Provisional members to have the opportunity to formally join and pay at
> meeting
> 4.4 Working Groups
> 5. Any Other Business
> 6. Closure
>
> Please contact me if you have any queries.
>
> All the best
> Jacqueline McNally
> secretary at slpwa.asn.au

Only three clear days' notice of a General Meeting!

That's not very good, or, professional.

I think that, in the Apologies part of the agenda, the first apology (for
those who are able to attend, given the lack of notice), should be for the
lack of notice.

Whether Anne and I are able to attend, is yet to be determined, given the
lack of notice, and, other commitments.

The item "Membership fees to be adopted", appears to take for granted,
that the membership fees decided by the committee will be accepted
without allowing any discussion or input from members, other than
committee members, who are still able to attend.

Given the lack of notice, this does not bode well for the professionalism
of the organisation.

Have the PROPOSED membership fees been published, for consideration by
members, with sufficient time before the meeting?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
 - Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988