[plug] squid.. squid-cache?

John Usher (Maptek) John.Usher at perth.maptek.com.au
Tue Aug 13 16:26:00 WST 2002

Hey,

I think the squid redirector script is what you want to play with on the
student squid proxy.

Basically you would want a list of URL heads that were OK to go to and
you would do something like:

while (<>)
{
	if (/^http:\/\/www.youcangohere.com\//)
	{
		print "$_\n";
	} elsif (/^http:\/\/other.address.com\//)
	{
		print "$_\n";
	}
	else
	{
		print "http://local.machine/you.cannot.go.there.html\n";
	}
}

This is similar to the way adzap (http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/adzap/)
works, only in reverse - adzap redirects URLS that go to ads to
youcantgothere.html.

The tricky bit may be sorting out the content type for images and
returning a youcantgothere image rather than html. Otherwise you may see
many broken images on your pages.

You might want to change the above else to:

else
{
  if (/\.(gif|png|jpg|jpeg)$/)
  {
	$mytype = $1;
  }
  else
  {
      $mytype = "html";
  }
  print "http://local.machine/you.cannot.go.there.$mytype\n";
}

Along with parenting the student squid to the staff squid.

This would also mean that the students may be accessing the web directly
through the cache heirarchy, meaning you don't have to precache the
pages.

If you are using transproxy, you would have to replace the machine names
with IP addresses, which also means you have to make sure you get all
the IP addresses when a name maps to more than one address. Some .coms
map to MANY ip addresses.

...John...