[plug] Intenet banking and Linux browsers

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Aug 15 14:03:39 WST 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Colin Muller wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 05:39:01PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > Okay, then. What do YOU call new browser window things that open up,
> > that have no browser window controls, that cannot be changed in size
> > without crashing, that mimick applets, that look like applets, that
> > feel like applets, that work like applets, that taste and smell like
> > applets...?
>
> I call it a "new browser window", myself. They do it with JavaScript;
> There's no Java being used. I've used the ANZ for years (using NS 4.x,
> NS 6.x, Linux; Mozilla hasn't yet worked for me on their site) and I
> have Java turned off all the time.  Their customer support once told
> me that their Web developers say they pop open a toolbarless window
> because using the back button breaks their site.  That reflects
> extremely poor programming and little understanding of the Web and
> User Interfaces on their part, but it's got nothing to do with Java.

Are you still able to use Netscape to access the facility?

I have just tried using Netscape 4.61 running on RH 6.2, and, as started
happening (from memory I was wrong in the commencement of this problem -
it was the start of July) before, it just timed out.

I have just tried to access the facility using Netscape 4.79, running on
RH 7.3, and it has been sitting there looking at me, with "Transferring
data from www.anz.com" in the staus bar, while I typed the above text. I
had to minimise the thing (call it whaever you want), as I could not close
it and it was not responding, then I could not see any controls in the
parent browser window, and could not close the parent browser window, so
had to use the right click on the task in the task bar, and select "kill
application", to close Netscape down. In other words, the Internet banking
facility caused Netscape to crask, and I had to kill it and its kid
(whatever kind of mongrel kid, you want to call it).

The bottom line is, that Netscape no longer works with the facility for
me, and has not, since the start of July, and this is due (as admitted by
the anz chief twit), to changes made by the anz.

However, as I stated in the original posting, to which no-one seems to
have anwered the questions, I appear to be able to use Opera 6.02, to
access the facility.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
 - Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988