[plug] networking XP Pro and Samba

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Sat Aug 17 02:00:57 WST 2002

WTF? Since when has Linux/Samba required (or even recognised) netbeui?
(and why do you think netbeui is not installable by default?)
Hmmph!

Post snippets of smb.conf for more help...
Like :-

"
[global]
case sensitive = no
dns proxy = no
domain admin group = administrators
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
guest account = public
guest ok = no
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
interfaces = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
level2 oplocks = false
local master = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
logon script = netlogon.bat
map to guest = never
max log size = 50
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
netbios name = server
oplocks = false
os level = 65
pid directory = /var/run
preferred master = yes
preserve case = yes
security = user
server string = e-smith Server
short preserve case = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
strict locking = no
unix password sync = Yes
wins support = yes
workgroup = WORKGROUP

[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /home/netlogon
guest ok = yes
writable = no
browseable = no
"

And create XPLogon.reg :-
"
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
"requirestrongkey"=dword:00000000
"requiresignorseal"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
"requirestrongkey"=dword:00000000
"requiresignorseal"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameter
s]
"requirestrongkey"=dword:00000000
"requiresignorseal"=dword:00000000
"

Merge Xplogon.reg before adding to the domain.

Then use the admin or root account and password to add the machine to
the domain....

Otherwise you could read the extensive docs out there on XP & Samba
2.2.3+

Regards,

Craig F.