[plug] [link] XboX now runs `normal' Linux, no video etc yet

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Aug 18 10:25:56 WST 2002

    http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xboxlinux.txt

------------8<--------cut-here--------8<------------

So what does this first full release actually do?

 - If you boot from the CD BIOS launcher, the CD will eject as the
   boot begins. This is normal; don't press eject again or you'll
   get a reboot.

 - during the boot, Linux unpacks a compressed ram filing system
   from flash, called initrd this stands for Initial Ram Drive,
   and it contains root filesystem (that is, /), the shell and
   other utilities like webservers, telnet daemon, etc.

 - Linux can see and init the Ethernet adapter, default startup
   scripts from the initrd assign it an IP and so make it visible
   to your LAN and the internet using standard protocols

 - we can use NFS to make directories from other machines read/
   writable to the box

 - Linux can also mount non-locked HDDs on the box IDE port. By
   default we do not mount any HDD. Although we have the code
   and keys to unlock the drive in software we decided not to
   issue it yet due to the trouble bugs would cause. It is
   believed that a UDMA drive of reasonably recent vintage is
   required for correct operation with the nVidia chipset
   currently.

 - our default scripts bring the ethernet up as 192.168.0.64,
   netmask 255.255.255.0 (<---set in ./bootdisk/etc/init.d/rcS).
   So what can you do with this default setup?

 - http://192.168.0.64    your box wants to tell you something
 - telnet 192.168.0.64    yes - a shell prompt

There's a little more text on the xbox-scene homepage (second article as I
type, click uparrow twice in Konqueror) and here:

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/articles.php?aid=1&sub=successfully+operating

...see also...

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/pic/info.png - shot of web page
http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/pic/telnetsession.png - guess.