[plug] complacency: viruses and spam

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Aug 18 22:00:03 WST 2002

> My question is: What are the "standard" precautions that one should take
> to defend against viruses on Linux?

Keep an eye on tech news and security mailing lists. Oh, and _never_
execute attachments recieved over email unless they're signed by
somebody trusted. Don't boot from other people's media if you feel
really paranoid.

> What do
> pluggers do in general to filter (or whatever) spam? (A D.O.S attack on
> the spammer crossed my mind. :-) )

In my case, I grind my teeth and drop it in the "spam" folder. I don't
have the time or energy to follow up spam mostly (unless it _really_
offends, comes in to every single employee at work, or arrives in packs
of 10 in my inbox).