[plug] C tutorials, linux specific

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 18 23:14:16 WST 2002

Tah for all that mate. :) As requested by Arie, here's the permissions for
the file at the moment:

-rwxrwxr-x    1 nhoj     nhoj            0 Aug 16 11:30 prog1

Should I need anymore help, would there be anyone about who I could
privately email about gcc help and compilation in general? I get the feeling
that I'm going to be right difficult b*stard otherwise.... ;)

John

>Hi John
>
>$ gcc -o  prog1  prog1.c
>
>The above command will compile prog1.c to produce the executable called
>prog1
>
>When you want to run prog1 you have to enter:   ./prog1
>assuming you are running it from the directory in which it is located.
>Your
>search path does not include your working directory, so
>
>1.  you either need to change your search path (not recommended)
>or
>2. explicitly declare the working directory (./)
>
>If you still have any difficulties, do an  ls -l  to list in long format
>all
>files in your working directory and see what the permissions are and who
>owns the files.
>
>These commands will change permissions (if you have permission to do so):
>chmod 777 prog1.c
>chmod 777 prog1
>
>You can change ownership with these commands:
>chown your-login-name prog1.c
>chown your-login-name prog1
>
>Hope this helps.......
>
>James Elliott