[plug] postgreSQL - info & query

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Aug 19 10:05:00 WST 2002

Dear PLUG members,

Some info and a question!

Info:  Jon, on a Debian system with postgresql installed from source rather
than from Debian-supplied package, the postgresql file mentioned by Mike
does not exist in the form he stated (eg. postgresql start), neither are
there entries in /etc/init.d but there is a file pg_ctl which will accept
various commands including start, stop and
restart.   "/where_ever/postgresql/is_installed/pg_ctl --help" is friendly
in the absence of a man entry and describes the syntax/options.   Same is
probably true for any other distribution of Linux where a
compile-from-source does not provide the same "completeness" of
installation as those in official packages.

Question:  In a system which may suffer several changes of run level, but
is also used as a server where continuity of service is a desirable, what
is the "approved" method for starting services which are to remain running
and survive run level changes?  In other words, not be killed and restarted
at each run level change.

To explain:  a (Debian) machine runs postgresql.  This is required by
several remote users so in that context the machine is a server.  The
machine's other personality is that of a workstation and some of the time
it will run console-based, at other times it will run a graphical
desktop.  As I understand it, swapping between text console and graphical
involves a change of run level.

PG can be started manually via "/usr/local/pgsql/pg_ctl start" after boot
and seems to survive across many iterations between text-console and
graphical-desktop.   Should a startup script be placed in /etc/init.d,
etc/rc?.d and if so what value of ? and so on.

Not expecting a spoon-fed answer on this but some reference to useful
reading would be welcome :-)  I haven't found, yet, a concise guide to
Linux startup.  Not to say there isn't one.

TIA,
Denis