[plug] Poll regarding attachments

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Aug 20 12:29:49 WST 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:

> I feel it needs to be a committee decision, but list feedback (in the form
> below) is welcome.
>

> > In the past, polls regarding the operation of the list have (from
> > memory) been conducted on the list, with something like
> >
> > "Poll regarding attachments on mailing list
> >
> > ( ) Option 1 Strip all attachments
> > ( ) Option 2 Strip all attachments that are not signatures
> > ( ) Option 3 Reject all messages that include attachments
> > ( ) Option 4 Make no change
> > Please reply, inserting an "x" in one of the above pairs of brackets, to
> > indicate your choice. At the end of one week from the timestamp of this
> > message, the results will be  counted and published, and the decision
> > made accordingly."
>
> Seems reasonable to me, if you (or Wayne) would like to post this poll
> to the mailing list and then collate the results offlist then
> that would be great as a petetion for the committee to consider.
>
> I would also suggest that you have a "coments" type field so
> people can add a reason for their choice if they see fit.

In consideration of all of the above, I hereby post the following as the
poll (I trust no-one objects). I have added an option from Colin's
suggested website poll. I trust that that is okay with you, Colin?

Please delete all of the above message, when voting.

Poll regarding attachments on mailing list

( ) 1. Restrict Message size to 30KB
( ) 2. Strip all attachments
( ) 3. Strip all attachments that are not signatures
( ) 4. Reject all messages that include attachments
( ) 5. Make no change
Note: Option 3 is contingent on the option being available in the
mailing list application configuration.

Comments: < >

Please reply, to the list, inserting an "x" in one of the above pairs of
brackets, to indicate your choice.

After the end of one week from the timestamp of this message, the
results at that time will be  counted and published, and then the
comittee can act accordingly. Only the first vote by each subscribed
address, will be counted. I trust that subscribers will act in good
faith, and not stack the poll (by implementing multiple subcriptions
and then multiple votes). Apart from anything else, that will mess the
list around, with extra traffic. By replying to the list, the votes
will all be visible equally by everyone, so the publishd results will
be easily verified.

Also, any comments can be inserted in the Comments field, between the
diagonal brackets, for consideration by the committee, and by other list
subscribers. Please keep comments submitted in the form, to a maximum of
100 words.

Thank you in anticipation, to all who take part.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Doglas Adams, 1988