[plug] Behaviour regarding poll

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Aug 20 13:19:37 WST 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, wayne wrote:

> > Brian wrote:
> > (x ) Option 4 Make no change
>
> Why?  Please give reasonable argument against "UNNECESSARY".  That is, if
> you can say it in text then why say it in BLOATED, AWKWARD TEXT attachments
> ?
>
> > Colin wrote:
> > Signed messages are likely to be increasingly common. I vote for
> > Bernard's suggestion of a message-size limit.
>
> How many signed sigs do we have at the moment (I mean other than the "one".)
> ?  Been plenty of opportunity for others to join in but it hasn't happened
> has it?

This is a poll, for voting.

To challenge someone's vote (as opposed to their eligibility to vote),
is improper conduct.

The poll was put up in good faith, and I asked people to reply to the
list, for a number of reasons, including openness, and ease of
verification of the outcome, and, as mentioned to one person to voted
off-list, to enable people who had not yet voted, to read and consider
the comments made by voters.

To challenge a voter's vote, acts against the spirit of the poll.

If you do not vote (which you have not done), and if you do nothing
other than challenge other people's votes, then your opinion will not be
included in the poll result.

In short, vote, and respect other people's choices in voting, even if
you disagree with them, or, be quiet regarding the choices.

The poll has been offered, and if you choose not to make proper use of
it, then that is your choice, and you cannot expect your opinions to be
taken seriously, when all you do is challenge other people's votes.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Doglas Adams, 1988