[plug] GUI FTP

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Aug 20 14:50:37 WST 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Patrick Tehvand wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:26, Bret Busby wrote:
>
> > From your previous response, to which I replied, it appeared that with a
> > GUI ftp application, you could drag and drop files, for uploads only;
> > what I was asking, was whether your response meant that a person could
> > not select files (or directories), and drag and drop to the current
> > working directory (or, another directory, on the user's system), and do
> > a drag and drop copy of the file(s) or directories, as, for example, a
> > person can do when copying from one partition to another, using Windows
> > Explorer on MS Windows.
> >
> > So, if I am ftp'ing to your computer, and I want to download some files
> > from your computer, to my /bleep/wingding directory (while I am in my
> > home directory), can a GUI ftp application enable me to do this by the
> > "drag and drop" method?
>
> Kbear does and GFTP does too... not bad really.

Thank you.

I wasn't sure whether that could only be done for uploading, from what
had previously been posted.

As I want to copy my home directory contents from my older computer, to
what will be (hopefully) set up as my home partition on my newer
computer, that appears to be the best way.

I assume that the two applications that you mentioned, can do recursive
ftp's, or, download directories and their contents, including
sub-directory hierarchies, maintaining the hierarchies?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Doglas Adams, 1988