[plug] Poll regarding attachments: example of text attachments

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Aug 20 16:00:55 WST 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:53, wayne wrote:
> Can someone please explain why they write a message in a document and then
> include it as an attachment in an eMail without any text in the eMail
> itself?  Not silly, stupid or puerile comments, but a real reason.  Is
> there a Linux reason for this?

Classic example: here is a config for PPP dialling ArachNet with optimal
throughput but avpoiding defalte compression because that gronks the ppd
shipped with Mandrake 8.2, attached are the handful of small text files
involved for your viewing pleasure and elucidation.

Yes, I could inline them or put them on a website. If I inline them, the
whitespace (which may be critical although it ain't in this case) may get
messed up (tabs expanded or collapsed, stuff quoted, =20 tacked on at line
ends, that kind of thing). For 1/2kB, who's going to bother with anything
more complex?

Cheers; Leon