[plug] Nifty idea for dual booters

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Tue Aug 20 16:10:54 WST 2002

G'day all,

I have a 30Gb drive in my laptop and the need to test stuff on multiple
windows versions from time to time.
I have a windows partition on hda2 that's about 1GB..
What I do is install a windows version on it, then run norton speedisk
to zero unused space on the partition. (Only works with 9x, XP won't let
you do this). Boot back into linux and dd if=/dev/hda2 | gzip > blah.gz

I have about 10 different configurations backed up like this.
When I want one I just zcat it through dd and reboot into it.

Just thought this might save someone some time someday :p)

I have done this with all the 9x, nt4, 2000 and xp pro with no hassles.
The 9x's compress better because you can Zero the unused space on the
drive before you re-compress.
Have not tested with NTFS but see no reason as to why it would not
work.

Oh yeah, I boot with lilo and just chain to the hda2 bootloader.

--
Brad....
                   /"\