[plug] Debian - Win2K Dual Boot

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Tue Aug 20 18:02:06 WST 2002

Craig Zilko wrote:

> Hello people
>
> I have been asked to set up a dual boot system, Debian (Woody) and Windows
> 2000.

I install Debian first, use that to create the windows partition and
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdax
to zero the windows partition..
Setup Lilo to chain to that partition.

Reboot and install w2k. After it has buggered up your MBR and it's installed
properly, boot into debian with the root disk and just do a root=/dev/hda1 or
whatever your linux root is. Run lilo again to restore your mbr and your cooking.

Watch out though. I have had various versions of windows trample my linux
partitions with no warning when installing them. Once it's installed it'll
probably be as stable as windows can get anyway.

--
Brad....
                   /"\