[plug] Learning/setting up RADIUS

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Aug 20 22:06:23 WST 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 ryan at is.as.geeky.as wrote:

> Does anyone have any useful links or docs to assist me in setting up and
> understanding RADIUS on a Linux box?
>
> If I can figure it out, I intend to have a Cisco 1720 authenticate VPN
> connections via it where I work.  Someone else will set that side up, so
> there is some hope still :)
>
> I'm using Debian and have grabbed xtradius, but this is the choice:
>
> radiusd-cistron - Radius server written by Cistron.
> radiusd-livingston - Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service (RADIUS)
> server
> xtradius - Free radius server implementation.
> yardradius - YARD Radius Auth/Acct Server
>
> Any particular one I should be aiming at?

I see you're missing freeradius (www.freeradius.org).  It's pretty good.
It's still a little unstable, and the build process is volotile BUT
it has lots of features is GPL.  You can authenicate from a database
return radius attributes from a database and use a db for accoutning.

You can of course do all the above from simple text files of the linux
/etc/passwd.  It supports pam.

It has specific HACK to work around CISCO brokenness, alot of people on the
devel/users lists are using it for VoIP stuff.

AND it comes with a complete set of RFC's

It groks MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS-SQL and a few other.  There aren't any packages
for redhat and the .debs in debian (sid only) are a little outta date.
you don't _need_ a package tho.

Tony, head of freeradius marketing.

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!